LIGHT Home School Bylaws
Article I – Name
Leaders in Godly Home Teaching [LIGHT]
Article II – Vision
To support families who have been called by God to home educate their children in reaching educational excellence and family wholeness.
Article III – Goals
1) Positively encourage new homeschoolers and support families currently homeschooling.
2) Effectively promote the understanding and positive image of homeschooling.
3) Diligently provide resources to strengthen families and their homeschools.
4) Actively develop a Christian mindset and lifestyle among our members.
Article IV – Membership
1) Member families must sign the LIGHT statement of faith; if someone other than the parents of legal guardian is primary instructor they must also sign the LIGHT statement of faith. The statement of faith reads as follows:
1. The Bible is the inerrant, infallible, inspired Word of God from Genesis through Revelation. [2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21]
2. God is one being Who eternally exists in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. All persons are equal in power and glory [Matthew 28:19]
3. Christ is fully God and man [John 1:1-14], born of a virgin [Matthew 1:8] and sinless in His life [Hebrews 4:15]. While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us [Romans 5:8]. He rose bodily from the grave [John 25:1-9] and reigns with the Father [Acts 2:33]. He will return visibly and personally to Earth both in salvation and judgment [Acts 1:11; Hebrews 9:28; Matthew 24:35]
4. All humans are sinful by nature [Romans 3:23, 5:12] and can only be forgiven and saved by repentance and the expression of trust in Jesus as Savior [John 3:16], brought about by the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit [Titus 3:5-7].
5. We believe in the continuing ministry of the Holy Spirit who indwells the Christian at the point of salvation and enables him to live a godly life [Romans 8:1-17].
6. We reject the anti-Christian tenets of secular humanism, including the general theory of evolution, one-world government, government-mandated sex education, government-mandated parenting courses, modern feminist ideology, abortion and the promotion of homosexuality as an alternate, acceptable lifestyle.
2) Member families will receive membership privileges when dues are paid in full.
3) Dues will be determined by the leadership team annually. Dues are non-refundable.
4) Member families will be allowed one vote concerning LIGHT business
5) Membership privileges include access to LIGHT sponsored activities, group communication, and a directory of membership.
6) Any claim or dispute arising from or related to membership in LIGHT shall be settled by mediation and, if necessary, legally binding arbitration, in accordance with the Rules of Procedure of the Institute for Christian Conciliation, a division of Peacemaker© Ministries. Judgment upon an arbitration award may be entered in any court otherwise having jurisdiction. The parties understand that these methods shall be the sole remedy for any controversy or claim arising out of membership in LIGHT and expressly waive their right to file a lawsuit in any civil court against one another for such disputes, except to enforce an arbitration decision.
7) Any member home schooling a child not their own or for which they are not legal guardians of; That child’s family must become a member of LIGHT.
Article V – Officers
1) The leadership team will act as nominating committee and accept recommendations or volunteers from the group as part of their search.
2) In order to serve as an officer they must have been paid members for at least one year and have signed the LIGHT statement of faith.
3) Only the positions of President and Vice-President will require votes.
4) The positions of President and Vice-President require a 2/3 share of voting families to be accepted in these positions.
5) The leadership committee will consist of the following officers.
The President is the principal executive officer and contact person for people seeking information about L.I.G.H.T. This position is one of leadership and servant hood. The President should be willing to let God lead and, therefore, be dedicated to praying for wisdom in making decisions and praying for the group as a whole, also. The President should be organized, able to delegate, accessible for answering members’ questions, and able to keep track of monthly L.I.G.H.T activities. A minimum of 20 hours a month will probably be spent on presidential duties.
This position is also one of leadership and servant hood. It is imperative that the Vice-President be compatible with the other members of the Leadership Committee. The Vice-President will work closely with and will provide support and help where needed to the President. Should the President be unable to perform his or her duties, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President. The President or the Leadership Committee may assign the Vice-President to other duties.
Above all, the Treasurer should be trustworthy. The Treasurer should maintain checking accounts and petty cash accounts. The Treasurer should also prepare financial statements at the request of the Leadership Committee.
The Secretary should work closely with the President to help new families complete the registration process with ease. The Secretary should also update the member directory each year. The Secretary should record notes at the leadership meetings.
Article VI - Volunteer Positions
1) Volunteer positions will be open to all paid members.
2) Volunteer positions will be determined on an annual basis by the leadership committee and should include but are not limited to the following:
a) Field Trip Coordinator
b) Playdate Coordinator
c) Party Coordinator
d) Mom’s Night Out Coordinator
e) Tween Coordinator
f) Teen Coordinator
g) Special Project Coordinator
3) If positions are not filled those activities will not take place until someone has filled that position.
Article VII - Meetings
1) Meetings will be held as needed.
2) One member of the leadership team will be present at each meeting.
Article VIII – Amendment of Bylaws
1) Bylaws will be reviewed by the leadership team annually.
2) Any proposed changes in the bylaws must be brought before the group for a vote. Members will be given at least a one month notice of vote and proposed changes. In order for changes to be approved they must pass by a vote of 2/3 of the members present.
Article IX – Dissolution
Should LIGHT be dissolved, material possessions and monies shall be given to a likeminded home schooling organization after any and all bills have been paid. Recipient organization would be chosen by the leadership team.